Saturday, October 23, 2010

13. The Original Advent Large Loudspeaker by Henry Kloss

I've been waiting to do this one as it's going to be in four parts. Posts 13, 14, 15 and 16 will cover the original Advent Large.

I have had more of these than any other type of electronica/audio equipment so far. God, I do like these speakers. You can NEVER EVER go wrong with a pair of original Advent Large. I've had 7 pairs of these during my life. At the moment, I have none.

38 pounds, 100 watts, 8 ohms. So what's so special about them?

They sound great! I think it's like a right of passage for every audiophile to get his or her hands on a pair at some point and time. Deep bass and ultra smooth highs! They are a joy to listen to. Designed by Henry Kloss, they had a 10 inch woofer in a 12 inch frame. What?  You see, the first generation of these used a masonite ring to adapt the 10 inch woofer to a 12 inch woofer basket. The tweeters in the first generation were the amazing "fried egg" dome-cone tweeters on masonite plates that were off set on aluminum plates. All this changed as they were revised into many variations over the course of more than  two decades.

God bless Henry Kloss (pronounced "Close")

This is a picture of my last pair. I re-foamed the surrounds and sold them for $100.00

No comments:

Post a Comment